Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.
Princess Diana



Some years ago, over thirty years, now I started digging into my families history. At the time I just wanted to know more about my grandparents and aunts and uncles. Like everyone else, once you start, it smowballs down hill into more than a curiosity, but almost a way of life. Along the way I have meet many new people who have helped me uncover surprises and connect people. Sadly some are no longer with us, but I remember each and every one and thank them, from the bottom of my heart.

Once the computer came into my life, somewhere around 1995, I started giving back to the community that helped me. One way that I could do that was through the computer. US Gen Web was just starting and when I stumble across articles that might be of help to someone, I posted them there. Some of those articles are still there today. Ok, it wasn't that long ago in real time, but there are days when it feels like a different life.

My husband and I love to travel around the east coast of the US and I love antique malls. (Its an addiction) In a mall in northern Virginia, I discovered two old magazines for sale. They were 1909 and 1910 PA German History, Genealogy, Folklore. My mind and heart could not leave them there. Now I must tell you as far as I know I have no Pennsylvania German ancestors. But some one does and they might be able to use some of what is in these little magazines.

I transcribed several of the articles that had genealogy facts and posted them to genweb. You might look in Berks County archives in Pennsylvania at some church records. With today's technology I can now put the images of these two magazines online. Oh, and I have!!

Pennsylvania German

This has nothing to do with Barbee research, except to remind everyone that in genealogy everyone needs someone to share. That is how we find the answers to our ancestors.

From that sharing of the old magazines I meet a gentleman who shared with me several books that he had done for his families reunion. They were not about any of my family, but about people who had lived during the late 1800's here in the area that I now call home. East Central Florida. I love these books and wanted to share them with everyone. They are diaries of a man who was pioneer on Merritt Island, Florida. First hand account of his everyday survival. Frank Munson's diaries are anything but boring. You might enjoy reading them.

https://sites.google.com/site/munsondiaryjournal/

Recently I stumble across a widow's pension application on familysearch.org . They have so many records online. This application was for the widow of George Leslie Barbee. So I did some digging and have posted some records about George Barbee. He is not a direct ancestor, but he was a Barbee, so why not share with everyone.

http://barbeeresearch-thebook.blogspot.com/p/george-leslie-barbee_31.html

Now the question is .... Do you want to give something back? Maybe you have a document or an old family photo. Maybe a Bible that has hot been seen by others.

Linda
pasthunter@earthlink.net




No comments: